Sunday, April 8, 2012

What started it all?

I know there are plenty of fitness blogs out there, and I don't intend for this to be 'just another fitness blog'.  However, I do plan on making a blog dedicated to the healthy lifestyle I have promised to lead.  I will attempt to keep up on this blog.  Hoping to inspire others to finally change their lives and in a sense free themselves.

I have not always been healthy, I was actually considered morbidly obese only 3 short years ago.  In may of 2009 I hit an almost record high, carrying 235lbs on my 5'1 frame.  (2 Years prior to that I was at an all time high of 255lbs) Not only was I unhealthy but I was completely unhappy.  Food was my comfort, my soul mate and my confidant.  I turned to it in when I was bored, depressed, stressed and happy. Abusing it and turning my body into a trashcan.

(Me at my college graduation, May 2009.)

I graduated college May of 2009 and was planning on moving to San Diego with my then boyfriend, now fiance in January 2010.  When the scale told me I weighed 235lbs, I knew that something had to change.  I couldn't continue living my life the way I was.  I started an attempt at 'getting skinny' as I called it.  At this point I was just looking for an easy fix, drop the weight as fast as possible.  That's what everyone wants, isn't it?I started limiting my food intake and consuming minimal calories a day. (I realized later on that although this will help you lose weight fast, it is completely UNHEALTHY for your body.) I began to feel a little better about myself.  

Then, the big move came from Upstate, New York to San Diego, California.  I thought once I moved I would continue to lose weight and prosper. WRONG.  As soon as I moved I became unmotivated, and by May 2011 I gained 5lbs back.  I was now at 205lbs, moving in the wrong direction.  I began feeling unhappy again and I knew this was not how I was suppose to be living my life.

Once again, I decided something had to change.  Only this time I decided my whole lifestyle needed a makeover.  I quit looking for the quick fix and started to realize I needed to work for what I wanted.  I could no longer treat my body with hatred.  I needed to love my body, and treat it with respect.  No more  acting as if it were a trashcan.  I would control what I put into my body, food would become fuel not comfort.  Exercising would become fun and not just another daunting task I had to do.

By May 17, 2010 my lifestyle change began.  I started a food journal, logging everything I ate (yes, including the occasional treat) and every exercise I did.  I was eating around 1400 calories a day and either jogging or exercising to an at home work out tape.  By May 2011 I was down to 123lbs.  A total of 82lbs lost in one year.  I was so excited about my progress.  I knew I was finally getting it. However, I had only lost fat and had not tried to gain any muscle.  I didn't realize until later that I had become a skinny person but I still wasn't fit.

(My progress May 2010 to May 2011)

I was to my goal weight and feeling amazing.  Now began my real task.  Keeping up my healthy lifestyle.  Figuring out how to live a normal life while maintaining my weight, eating and exercise habits.  This proved to be hard.  By February 2012 (this year) I was back up to 137lbs.  I started to realize that I had picked back up some of my bad habits and was still abusing my body with the food I was putting into it.

I decided I needed another jump start.  This time I choose Insanity, a workout program done in your own home for 9 weeks, with no work out equipment needed.  This almost sounded too good to be true.  I started the program right away, today actually marks my last day.  I am down 13lbs and back at a healthy  124lbs.  However, this time I am a skinny fit woman at 124lbs.  I have gained muscle now, not just lost fat and I have never felt healthier.  

(front view, before Insanity and After)

(side view, before Insanity and After)

(Back view, before Insanity and After)

This time I know I am ready to keep up the healthy lifestyle that I am choosing to lead.  I have promised myself that I will keep active and enjoy life to the fullest.  Hopefully by doing so, I can inspire others to change their lives. 

Choose your hard

17 comments:

  1. Thank you! I am completely motivated to keep it up for the rest of my life! I hope you keep reading and enjoy my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job!!! I will be visiting your blog regularly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nichole! I noticed your post on my fitness pal and saw your results with Insanity! You look SO great! What an accomplishment! You should definitely send in your results to beachbody so you can get the Insanity t-shirt that says I EARNED IT! I love that your blog is all about helping people stay healthy! Keep up the great work! Your story is inspiring me and I am sure many others too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, thank you Angela! I was just checking out your blog and love that you guys are starting Asylum. I was thinking about getting that in the future. A friend just gave me p90x to borrow so I am going to check that out first. However, I don't really have a good place for a pullup bar in my apartment, so we will see what I end up doing! Right now I am doing the eliptical/tredmil and a bit of weights M/W/F, yoga T/TH and hikes with my fiance on Saturday. Just trying to see what works after Insanity. :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such an inspiring blog! :) Seeing your progress is so motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Wow, Wow! You've done awesome and look amazing! What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your story Nichole! I've just started my journey to a happier and healthier me :) Proud that I finished my first week of Insanity...will look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story and thanks for sharing it! (Linked over from Lose It!) You look fantastic and I can't wait to have a story like yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome job, you tiny thing! I just told my husband, if she can do it, I can do it (maybe, lol). I think even your posture improved from Insanity, looking at the side view.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratilations Nichole and thank you sooo much for sharing your story! It's reading success' like this that motivates me to get off my a$$ and start moving.

    It is a tough journey and I think we underestimate the time it takes to get healthy and fit...there is no quick fix...period!

    Patience and perseverance!

    You're awesome and I've saved your story to keep me going!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your story. I completed P90X last year and loved the way I felt and looked.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! I just started Insanity (completed Day 3) and am looking forward to the results!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey! Great story, I also have just began my long battle with getting healthy and changing my life style for the better. Your story is inspiring and its great to see someone else's weight and health goals come to a reality, it helps me see that mine can be a reality too. I also have started INSANITY this past two weeks! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is so so inspiring to me. i lost a whole lot of weight a few years back then gained it all back and now i am on the path to wellness again and i am really excited to see my progress if it is anything like yours. congratulations on your massive achievement!!

    p.s. i found you via myfitnesspal.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome post :) my blog @ http://all-healthy-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting topics here in your site mate. Can't wait to read more of your blogs. Just keep it coming.

    see healthcareguru.net

    ReplyDelete