Friday, June 8, 2012

Remember to go to the dentist

Not only is being at a healthy weight important to your overall health but so is going to the dentist.  So many problems stem from having bad teeth.  For one some studies have linked heart disease with having bad teeth and gums. Don't believe me? Check out this site.   Additionally, if you let bad teeth go for too long, you can get septicemia (blood poison), high blood pressure and mouth cancer. Now that doesn't sound like fun.  It's strange to realize that not taking care of your teeth can actually end up poisoning your whole body. Bad teeth can also cause typical problems such as mouth pain and bad breath.

After not going to the dentist for 4 years, I finally went a week ago at the urging of my fiance.  It was all bad news many cavities, a few crowns needed and I needed to get all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled.  Since that first cleaning I have gotten the right side of my mouths cavities filled and crown drilled.  I also just got my wisdom teeth out today. NEVER again will I not go to the dentist.  Even if you don't have insurance (which I do not) it is still important to go.  Groupon often has some great deals on dental cleanings and xrays, take advantage of these.  Your mouth and wallet with thank you!  Dental work only gets more expensive the longer you wait.

This is what I have learned from forgoing the dentist for as long as I did: If you can not make it to the dentist every six months like recommended, then strive for going once a year. Remember to floss daily also, this is super important.  It helps to break up the bacteria party that is trying to start between your teeth and on your gums.  If you don't break this party up they can lead to cavities.  Lets be honest, nobody wants a decaying tooth in their mouth, yuck! So floss daily, use mouth wash and brush at least 2 times a day.

We strive to keep ourselves healthy by staying fit, now we need to strive to stay healthy by taking care of our teeth!


4 comments:

  1. I have to agree on that. Dental work does tend to be more expensive when you wait longer and let it lie. Last time I did it was a few years ago, when I went for a full year without going to the dentist for a dental cleaning, and the first thing I’ve noticed is that for some reason, my gums bled a lot. And this was just the general cleaning part. After a grueling cleaning and a few teeth filled, I was told that I had to follow-up with another set of medication for my gum problem, which consisted of two medicated toothpastes, and capsules, which I assumed were some kind of supplements for my gums. All in all, it was a very painful experience for me and my wallet.

    Gus Eckles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if you take care of your teeth by brushing them religiously 2-3 times a day, it still pays to visit your dentist at least twice a year to check on your pearly whites. If nothing else, it would give you the confirmation that you’re doing the proper oral care your teeth need.

    Cody

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch. Getting all 4 wisdom teeth pulled in one go is definitely painful, to say the least. Then again, at least you only had to endure it all in one swoop. Though it really makes eating anything afterward awkward and painful. Also, I agree with your point on visiting the dentist. One should make the effort to have their oral checkup at least once a year and have your dentist poke around in there to check on your teeth.

    Thomas DeFinnis @ Wynnewood Dental Arts

    ReplyDelete