Saturday, June 9, 2012

Healthy treats for your dog!

As human's we strive to eat healthy foods.  Ones with no preservatives and extra fillers. So why shouldn't we strive to feed our animals the same way? Not only do I want to be healthy so I can live a happy healthy life but I want the same thing for my dog. :]  Here is a recipe that my dog Koda just loves and is happy to scarf down.  They end up costing less than the less healthy treats you can buy at the store.  I found this recipe originally on the whole foods market website.

Peanut Butter and Banana Dog Treats


Ingredients:
  • 1 banana, peeled and mashed
  • 1 cup oat flour
  • 2/3 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup dried parsley
  • 3 tablespoons all natural no sugar added creamy peanut butter
  • 1 egg, beaten

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
  2. Mash the banana in a medium bowl using a fork.
  3. Add oat flour, oats, parsley and peanut butter.  Stir well and set aside for 5 minutes.
  4. Roll the dough into 24 balls, using about 1 tablespoon of dough for each. 
  5. Transfer the dough balls to a parchment lined baking sheet.  Use a spoon to press each ball into a circular shape.
  6. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.  Let cool completely before feeding them to your dog.
**The parsley in these treats acts as a breath freshener.  You can substitute mint for the parsley if you would like. It is best to store these treats in the fridge.  I usually freeze half of the batch to make them last longer.

This is Koda my adorable taste tester.

No comments:

Post a Comment